Tuesday, June 16, 2009

this is the day that the Lord has made



Sweet baby Liv. She came into this world in February, at just a mere 24 weeks gestation. She weighed 1 lb. 9 oz., and was 11 inches long. Yesterday, we celebrated her actual due date. She is now 40 weeks and 1 day old (corrected gestational age), but by birthdate 4 months old. She now weighs 7 lbs! She is a little miracle. Liv has defied the odds, and we are so thankful for her. Liv is still in the neonatal intensive care unit, and her homecoming day is still unknown. While she is growing like a weed, her little lungs are still struggling.

As I sit in the NICU staring, marveling at her little body, I can't help but have mixed feelings. My heart breaks for Liv's biological mother, who struggles to care for herself. My heart breaks for Liv, and the piece of her life that she will always miss, her twin brother, who passed away at 13 days old. I am amazed at Liv's strength, and determination. The doctors and nurses call her fiesty, but I know that she is more than fiesty. God has great things planned for her.

Our decision to adopt through foster care, has been an emotional roller coaster. To be completely honest, today is a day that I am emotionally tapped out. The tears hit at the drop of a hat, and I can't really explain why. I long for the day that I won't have to drive the 40 miles to the hospital to hold our new little one. I eagerly await the day that the doctors greet us with smiles and tell us she is healthy enough to go home. I am so excited to watch the faces of our 6 other children, our 4 bio kids and Liv's 2 bio brothers, when we walk through the doors of our home carrying their new baby sister.

Today, I am tired, but it is good. Tomorrow is a new day, and my God is faithful, and gives me strength to get through each new day, and each new adventure. I am blessed with 7 incredible kids, and an incredible husband. I am so thankful.




This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

2 comments: