Friday, April 10, 2009

He Lives!

Every year at this time, the store shelves are lined with colorful confections to fill our baskets. It is a time, that makes me long to be with my family to celebrate the Easter holiday. For as long as I can remember, these little marshmallow delights have been nestled in our baskets, clinging to the plastic grass, and standing guard over the speckled malt balls, jelly beans, and other random sweets the easter bunny brought us. As young children, my brothers, sister, and I would wake up and race to see how much sugar we could consume before Mom and Dad put a stop to it all.
Even more, I remember getting all dressed up in our finest to attend the Easter service at our home church. One year, I had the entire ensemble complete with white sun hat and gloves. Inevitably I would somehow end up with a hole in my new tights, and a giant scuff across the toes of my once shiny patent leather shoes. (I do believe that if Mom took me shopping for Easter shoes today, she would still gravitate toward the patent leather!)
The sweetest memory of all is standing with the congregation, being led by the local weatherman, singing the great hymn He Lives! To this day, I still get goose bumps when I sing that song, knowing that not only is Christ my personal Savior, but that He was crucified and resurrected to save the entire human race! This Sunday is about so much more than Easter baskets, sweet treats, egg hunts, and even spending time with family. This Sunday is a celebration of the eternal life that we all can have because our Savior lives!
I serve a risen Saviour; He's in the world today.
I know that He is living, whatever men may say.
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him He's always near.

He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.
He lives! He lives! Salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart.

In all the world around me I see His loving care,
And though my heart grows weary I never will despair.
I know that He is leading, thro' all the stormy blast;
The day of His appearing will come at last.

Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian! Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ, the King!
The Hope of all who seek Him, the Help of all who find,
None other is so loving, so good and kind.
~ Alfred H. Ackley

No comments:

Post a Comment